Rotorua Budget Advisory Service
The Rotorua Budget Advisory Service Inc is a Not-For-Profit organization that has been in existence for a very long time, first incorporating in 1963, and is a founding member of the New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services (NZFFBS).
Our Vision is…
“For the people of the wider Rotorua community to have the knowledge and skills to successfully manage their own financial affairs.”
“To successfully manage a service that provides budgeting advice, assistance and education which helps create an environment within the wider Rotorua community where people are encouraged to adopt responsible attitudes to money management.”
Our formal address is situated at Community House on Haupapa Street, Rotorua. We also provide budgeting advice, five days a week, seven hours a day, from the Work and Income offices, on Pukuatua Street, and have done so since 1990. We have established an outpost at Maketu and, more recently, establishing outposts at other community based organizations within the urban and rural environs of Rotorua. These offices are shown on our location map.
What do we do…
The Rotorua Budget Advisory Service (RBAS) provides its advice and assistance free of charge to the Rotorua community. Our services include:
- Face to face, non-judgmental, and confidential budget advice from trained and competent budget advisers who are certified as meeting the high quality standards of the New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services, our quality assurance organization. Interviews take from 1 ½ hours for the initial interview to ¾ hour for follow up interviews.
- We can advocate on behalf of clients with power, phone and other creditor businesses where, because of our relationships with these organizations, we may be able to negotiate smoother repayment structures for debts and arrears
- One on one education in budget skills and knowledge to be used in the home and future
- Group education courses on budgeting and financial management techniques that are practical and for use in everyday life
- Group presentations on everyday aspects of life and how with budgeting skills enjoyment and experience can be enhanced.
This list is not exhaustive but shows our core roles and responsibilities. We do not provide business budgeting advice, nor do we provide services covered by other organisations such as advice on gambling problems, alcohol and substance abuse etc. However, with the client's permission we can refer clients to those organizations that deal with these issues.
Our client base has moved in cycles throughout the years. Years ago many quite well off people came to us for advice and were able to adjust their home budgets to increase their standards of living and achieve personal goals. In recent years we have seen many clients who are not so well off seeking our services.
No matter the type of client, if you are experiencing financial difficulties at home we are best able to help if we are contacted earlier rather than later. In fact we encourage people to come in and get a ‘financial check up’ for peace of mind, much like the six monthly physical check up encouraged by doctors. It is free and only requires an hour or so of your time.
The recent recession may be officially over for businesses but we are still dealing with the social and financial issues of increasing unemployment. Our focus is on people and we have seen dual income families, and other 'middle class' sections of society that previously enjoyed a comfortable lifestyle now experiencing difficulties with living within their means, high levels of debt, impacts of redundancies, and rising costs of living.
I invite you to phone in and make an appointment if you have the time. It may well be the best 1 ½ hours you ever spent.